Mariana Santos, better known as “Mariana, a miserável” (the miserable one), is a non-award winning illustrator. Having to support a cat with expensive tastes, she practices her craft in her home studio in Porto, Portugal.
At 18 she left her hometown Leiria, in Portugal, to study Graphic Design at ESAD and afterwards attended the first year of a Masters at FBAUP, in Porto. Despite her field of study she decided to make herself even more unacttractive to employment by choosing to pursue a career in her main talent and passion, illustration, fully committing her heart, soul and wallet to a miserable life.
Since then she has managed to produce multiple solo and group exhibitions, in Portugal and abroad, worked for big brands, renowned design studios, publishing houses, taught in universities, recognised by art critics, featured in most of the Portuguese press and internacional design publications.
Currently living between Porto and Lisbon, she continues to develop a body of work that spans illustration fields. From canvas in galleries to walls in buildings, from fashion accessories to online content and other multiple mediums, Mariana is a talented and hard working artist.
Want to know more? Or ask for a quote on some creative project?
Just drop her an email.
- 09 Nov → 24 Nov
- Mariana, a miserável + Maria Imaginário - Art Room, Pátio do Tijolo 1, Lisboa, Portugal
- 11 Sep → 15 Sep
- Workshop at ESAD’s Illustration and Digital Animation Post-Graduation - Matosinhos, Portugal
- 06 May → 11 Jun
- PORTO CRUZ collective show - El Corte Inglés de Gaia, Avenida da República, Vila Nova de Gaia, Portugal
- 11 Feb
- Workshop – El Corte Inglés - El Corte Inglés de Gaia, Avenida da República, Vila Nova de Gaia, Portugal
- 25 Jan
- Drink and Draw
- 19 Jan
- Quintas de Leitura - Teatro do Campo Alegre, Porto, Portugal